Monday, July 28, 2008

New Semester Coming Soon

Uncovering the wood on my desk I rediscovered the "Dear Colleagues" letter from Dr. Pat Lincoln, Provost at Coker College. This three-paragraph missive gently reminded the faculty that summer was quickly coming to a close and that school would soon be back in session.

We formally begin the new semester on August 13 with orientation of new faculty and a Faculty Social beginning at 6:30 p.m. that evening. In-service types of classes and meeting are set for August 14 and 15 and that weekend the students will be arriving on campus. One of the things I have learned to enjoy about working on the Coker College campus is the anticipation of every new beginning and relishing the clear conclusion of each semester. Those beginnings and endings are different from work in what might be called the 'corporate world.'

Like all semesters, this is going to be a busy time. During the day sessions I will have two classes of speech -- a 8 a.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and 8 a.m. on Tuesday and Thursday. In addition I get to teach the Introduction to Mass Communication course, which I call Mass Communication, Culture and Media Literacy. I also get to teach one of my favorite classes, Organizational Communication, which focuses a lot on the internal communication theories and practices of organizations. In the night program I will be teaching a public speaking class in both Term One (early) and Term Two (late).

No comments:

Post a Comment