Monday, March 8, 2010

Senior Seminar and lessons from Morrie

Last Friday the "Morrie" lesson was provided by Johnna Shirley, who is the director of marketing and communication for Carolina Pines Regional Medical Center in Hartsville, SC. The students got to hear some targeted words of wisdom from a person who built a strong career in various aspects of Communication. Johnna used the book EVERYTHING I NEEDED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN as the focus for sharing ideas with the students. It was fun looking around the room and the recognition among the students when she discussed the seed-planing exercise that is a staple of most Kindergarten classrooms. I think I saw a lot of memory processing as the students began to connect some dots.

A few years ago there was the famous book TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE,where the author got to visit with a former professor who was living his last days. That book gave me the idea that as part of the Coker College Senior Seminar I would like to get students in touch with some people they might not have met to get some of those special life lessons. Over the years this has been a popular part of the seminar. I really appreciate it when people like Johnna take their time to give the students the benefit of some key lessons that often sound different when they come from someone who is out of their world.

No comments:

Post a Comment